Intermediate Medical Terminology

Increase delegates’ knowledge of medical terminology and so develop their competence and confidence

1. Training
    Time:
    2 day course
    9.30 to 4pm

Course description:
    This course is designed to increase delegates’ knowledge of medical terminology and so develop their competence and confidence and maximise the effectiveness of patient care.

Objectives:
    The objectives of the course are to enable delegates to be able to:
    • Identify root word terminology relating to:
    • Ear, nose and throat (ENT) & respiratory system
    • Obstetrics and gynaecology
    • Orthopaedics
    • Cardiology
    • Gastroenterology
    • Nephrology
    • General medicine/general surgery
    • State the meaning of various medical prefixes and suffixes
    • Explain the meaning of certain medical abbreviations including those relating to the above subjects
    Course Outline for the day:
    An introduction and revision of basic terminology:
    • Respiratory system and related terminology
    • Obstetrics & Gynaecology and related terminology
    • Orthopaedics and related terminology
    • Cardiology and related terminology
    • Gastroenterology and related terminology
    • Urology and related terminology
    • General medicine/surgery and qualifications
    Delegates will receive a comprehensive course manual and a certificate of attendance.

Who should attend:
    Staff who have attended the ‘Introduction to Medical Terminology’ course or already have a familiarity with medical terms gained through experience and who wish to expand their knowledge further.

Price:
    Full day: £1750 + VAT
    For up to 15 people. You may wish to join up with other neighbouring practices to share the cost of the training.

Booking:
    Bookings via Practice Index are charged at a discounted rate and come with a money back guarantee.

Course delivered by:
    Alison Bingley, Hilary Andrews, Victoria Boyle, Vicky Wild – dependent on the location of the course

Testimonials:

‘The sections on orthopaedics and cardiology as I come across these terms every day in referrals that I receive from GP’s.’
    K Bowers - Isle Of Wight NHS Trust

‘I really enjoyed this course and Alison’s immense knowledge, I liked the different revision exercises eg wordsearch and crossword.’

J Young - Isle of Wight NHS Trust

"Victoria is a great trainer. She explains very well and is extremely knowledgeable. I enjoy coming to the training and I know I will use what I have learned."

Michelle Palmer - Croydon CCG

"The course was very useful for read coding and reading hospital letters and reports."

Claire W - Croydon CCG

"The course was very relevant, I have to read letters and validate pathways so understanding the terminology will really help."

Laura J - Isle of Wight NHS Trust

Please note: If the aforementioned trainer is not available on the day, a suitable replacement trainer will be supplied. For remote parts of the UK, additional travel costs maybe incurred. If so, this will be made clear to you before you book the training.