1 day (Any day that suits you)
Morning session (9.30am to 12.30pm)
Afternoon session (1.30pm to 4.30pm)
Your practice or a neighbouring practice
This interactive one-day workshop aims to provide delegates with the tools to be able to communicate effectively with colleagues, patients and third parties with clarity and precision.
To gain an understanding of:
Course outline for the day:
- What do we mean by effective communication?
- The human communication model that distorts, generalises and deletes
- Active listening and the importance of listening more than you speak
- The barriers to effective communication
- The non-verbal cues of; body language, distance, sound of the voice, and tactile signals
- Asking the right questions and the need to go below the surface
- How much our own beliefs, values and assumptions affect our communication
- Being able to deal equitably with differing views
- How to have difficult conversations with individuals and in groups and still get a positive outcome
- Active versus passive communication
- Giving and receiving feedback
- Knowing the difference between fact and opinion and why it is important
- How to avoid negative comments and statements and use positive approaches instead
- Why telephone communication is different to face-to-face communication, and the pitfalls to avoid
- The ABC of business writing – Accuracy, Brevity and Clarity
- Why an email should never be ‘fired’ off; and what we can do to ensure our email communication reflects positively
During the day we will explore how to develop effective communication skills, from making sure you are understood and you understand, to being able to discuss difficult subjects, either on a one-to-one basis or in groups. You will gain the confidence to have difficult conversations within an empathetic and positive context. In addition, you will understand the importance of listening more than you speak, and how to approach your written communication. At the end of the day, delegates will know how to communicate with clarity and precision leaving no ambiguity as to the intentions of all concerned.
Delegates will receive all the course handouts electronically with links to further reading and case studies.
Full day: £945
For up to 12 people. You may wish to join up with other neighbouring practices to share the cost of the training.
Bookings via Practice Index are charged at a discounted rate and come with a money-back guarantee.
Course delivered by:
About the trainer:
Diane recently left primary care after nearly ten years as a practice manger, working for a 16,000 patient population practice across three sites. Since leaving general practice Diane, in conjunction with Practice Index, has been developing primary care training that is relevant in today’s fast-paced and stressful environment. She understands better than most the uniqueness of working within a primary care setting. During the past 25 years Diane has designed and delivered training on a wide range of topics from leadership development and customer service skills to information governance.
Diane is a qualified HR professional with a special interest in learning and development and adult learning theories. She is a member of both the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development and the Institute of Leadership and Management. Diane is qualified to ILM 7 level in Executive Coaching and Mentoring with a further postgraduate qualification from the UWE (University of the West of England) in Executive Coaching. During her time in primary care she was responsible for implementing career development pathways which saw receptionists become phlebotomists then HCAs, and admin staff develop leadership skills to move into management positions.
I commissioned Diane to work with my senior team. They have all really enjoyed working with Diane and their confidence and ownership of their roles has grown. We are reaping the benefits of the work achieved with her on a daily basis as a team of staff, and this also benefits the people we work with. I highly recommend anyone to take some time out with Diane and enjoy that safe place she creates to dig a bit deeper – it is surprising what you find!
Alison T - NHS
The training was fantastic and reinforces the need to uphold good customer service.
Delegate NHS Primary Care
Please note: If the aforementioned trainer is not available on the day, a suitable replacement trainer will be supplied. For remote parts of the UK, additional travel costs maybe incurred. If so, this will be made clear to you before you book the training.